Monday 15 December 2014

The Last Letter from your Lover- Jojo Moyes :BerryReads


Hello!

"It was a hard book to get into, but about 1/2 way in, it grabbed me."

It's that time again, about a month on from writing about one of the best books I've read this year, it's time to review The Last Letter from your Lover. This one, a completely different genre to the one we last talked about here, cannot even compare to Cuckoo's Calling. It's good, but not as great, and considering she's the author of Me Before You, I was disappointed... until I read the ending

"the book has a deeper meaning... (which) seeps in when you grasp what is going on"

There's the woman, Jennifer, who every girl was jealous of - after her accident she lost her memory and had to just believe she was what others tell her. Later did she realise she was leading a double life, although she was married, she was with a 'secret' man who actually made her feel happy. She was part of  society when divorce was frowned upon, when womans' opinions should not be expressed, nor should they have a say in politics. Jennifer had thought she was being 'out of order' by doing what made her happy and in her eyes, most importantly: 'what would people say?'. This really does show how society has changed. How lucky we are, as woman, to have the same rights as men in the world we live in today.

The dilemma: after Jennifer realised she would not never be as happy with her husband as she did with her lover, but will she do whats right for her, or what's right for woman in 60's society?

"I was disappointed... until I read the ending."

As I mentioned before, the ending was great. Don't get me wrong, I did not skip a few pages to read the ending, I read it cover to cover, but the beginning was a bit of a let down. It was unstructured, jumping from one decade to the next, one scenario to another without much of a clue to what's going on. It was a hard book to get into, but about 1/2 way in, it grabbed me. The story line is like a typical romantic book - it's got the protagonist, the problem they face and the love life they're not happy with. The interesting thing about this, which you realise mid-book, is that there's another girl, decades later, who can relate to all of this. I feel the book has a deeper meaning, the idea that 'you are not alone' seeps in when you grasp what is going on.

Overall, a good book - if only the beginning drew me in quicker!
Are you a fan of romantic stories? Or do you feel they always have the same storyline?
PIN BUTTON